Reading

 I like to read. Everything's fair game, from nutrition facts on food labels ( something I occasionally regret paying attention to) to assembly instructions (which I confess I often ignore); from spine tingling novels to tampon instructional leaflets (come on guys, who hasn't done that?  I mean, the box was right there next to the toilet, you're just sitting there anyway, right?).  

My point is, I love reading and always wish I had more time for it.  I envy my wife, who can read while there's music blasting nearby, while she's got something she's watching on tv or while I'm babbling to her.  I can only read when I have complete quiet, and usually only in the morning.  I'm too easily distracted to try to read with background noise.  I know most people read in bed at night to help them fall asleep, and I've tried that.  That's the problem, though.  I start to read and can barely get through a paragraph or so before I start nodding off.  When I have to reread a sentence, paragraph or a full page two and three times, that signals that it's time to just put the book down and call it a night.  Sure, I can occasionally make it through an entire chapter, but I often have to go back to see where I left off, many times having to scan the whole chapter.  

I'll be facing retirement in a matter of a decade or two, and I hope I can remain in possession of my faculties long enough to possibly enjoy some lengthy reading when that time arrives.

Comments

  1. I hope you can get some reading in at that time too. I read all the time. I like to listen to music when I'm reading but I can read when the tv is on or when I'm in bed and aren't quite ready for sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious of this ability you and my wife share!

      Delete
  2. I suppose I'm lucky that I can usually read if something's going on in the background. Maybe you should try some noise-canceling headphones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A love of reading is an addiction of mine. Like you I will happily read most things. And sometimes struggle to remember what I have read in bed at night.
    Books almost always triumph over background noise here - and usually over 'essential' chores as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose there are worse things one could be addicted to.

      Delete
  4. I can't read if there's a lot of background noise either. I need peace and quiet like you. I've been retired for several years and I love being able to read a lot more than when I was working. But I once knew a girl who could only study properly with background music. And she aced all her exams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's good for her. I love music, always have, and would surely love to be able to do as she did. Not happening!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Afraid of Dying?

(Cruisin' on the) Beer B(l)oat

Paying Tribute to What, I'm Not Exactly Sure