(Cruisin' on the) Beer B(l)oat

 My wonderful, loving, caring much younger wife has helped me over the years convert my beerlove from an almost-12-pack-a-night cheap lite shit habit to a more refined occasional local-microbrew-or-two per week one, and my health's all the better for it.  Honestly.  I'm healthier and feel better in my fifties than I did in my twenties and thirties thanks to her.  


Between the above-mentioned habit shift and an almost 80 lb. weight loss over a few years I quite literally owe her my life.  Stepping on our scale is a morning routine, and this morning I found myself feeling bloated while undressing for my shower.  Yesterday we picked up a sixer of one of many awesome local Octoberfests (wifey's a fiend) now that they're coming out, and we each sipped a couple while Netflixing and enjoying an intensely heavy thunderstorm.  

So this morning I stripped naked and, after observing my paunch in the mirror reluctantly stepped on the old honesty meter.  Disappointed? Sure, but I know I'll work it off during the coming week.  Not to make fun, but my wife does that routinely, and especially when she has her period (TMI?  Apologies if so).  She'll stand in front of the mirror, patting her belly.  She turns from one side to the other, mumbling "I hate my pooch...".  Even after many years I'm never quite sure how to respond to this, so I play busy or pretend I didn't hear her.  At first, I'd offer caring compliments and affirmations of deep love no matter her shape, size or weight, but after enough times of her "Don't even-"'s I've learned to just shut up and let her spout.  

So anyway- now what was this post about?  Beer?  Scales?  Pooches?  Oh, I don't know.  I woke too early and couldn't get back to sleep.  Just a tired rant, I suppose. 

Comments

  1. I have a four children, daily chocolate habit, pooch, so I just buy bigger pants and don't look in full length mirrors anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to your wife and you. I wish I could claim similar success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos entirely to my wife. I was a petulant child when it came to changing the eating habits I'd grown accustomed to, even though what started the whole process was my wife hearing my physician utter the words "pre-diabetic" during a physical. So sorry if it's been a struggle for you.

      Delete
  3. I echo, EC. Well done to both of you. Losing eighty pounds....kudos. That took some work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. The work was all on my wife's shoulders. I burned up more energy whining and fighting it than I'd care to admit.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the weight loss! That is tremendous! My scale rule is to never weigh myself in the morning due to water retention. By afternoon, I am always down 1.5 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Since losing all that weight, stepping on the scale is part of my every morning, unless we have a lazy/eat out/no hiking/beery weekend, then all bets are off on Monday.

      Delete
  5. Wow, eighty pounds is a LOT. That's impressive! As to your wife's period bloat, I sympathize with her. During the week before my period I swell up all over and feel fairly miserable most months. I wouldn't dare step on a scale that week! :)

    Out of curiosity, how much younger is your wife? I ask because my husband is 16 years older than me. And I've had to force him to take better care of himself, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impressive for sure, and thanks, Jennifer. My wife and I are 12 years apart. Some days she'll say I act every bit my age, and some days I say she acts like she's five or eight or twelve. She knows this, and this is part of what makes things work for us! Yes, if it wasn't for her I probably wouldn't take quite the care she forces me to, so you're not alone.

      Delete
  6. Good for you. As long as you feel good about it then I'm happy for you.
    I'm a big girl and I don't give one f*ck about it. I don't have a pooch, I have a great dane. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. 80 pounds down is fantastic! Because of my autoimmune disorder, my weight fluctuates all the time, so I don't stress about looking in the mirror and seeing a pooch anymore. Though I did spend many of my 20's and 30's stressing about it, thankfully my 40's told me life's too short to worry about a little bulge here and there as long as I'm feeling healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Theresa, and that's a great outlook. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. New here:
    I may not have a wife, but I don't think I'd ever comment on the 'I hate my pooch' remark!

    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Losing eighty pounds is very impressive. Your wife has obviously had a very good influence on you. If I'd heard the words pre-diabetic I would have been jolted into some drastic action as well. Luckily I've always been fairly thin. At six foot I was 11½ stone for a long while and I'm now 11¾ stone which isn't bad at the age of 74. Unlike Bijoux, I actually lose several pounds overnight. Go figure!

    Any kind of comment on a woman's appearance, or her remarks about her appearance, is treading on treacherous ground. I'm as ultra-cautious as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Nick, if it wasn't for my wife I think I'd be dead by now. ultra-cautious is good, my friend!

      Delete
  10. Nice job on the weight loss, pressfortime. I joined the 50 club recently and I find myself being more bloated than I ever was. If I eat the wrong thing, the pooch is out and about. If you find a magic elixir to getting rid of it quickly, please let me know. I also hope the magic elixir doesn't involve giving up beer because that is the only vice I have left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you on the beer thing, and I'm afraid there is no magic elixir. Besides my wife, my elixir is a very physically demanding job. I know it won't last (or my body won't) forever, so I'm taking advantage of it while I can still breathe.

      Delete
  11. Your better habits later in Life have you at least going in the right direction. As for me, I'm to that Age where I know I gotta Die of something, so it might as well be enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Afraid of Dying?

Paying Tribute to What, I'm Not Exactly Sure